Friday, January 11, 2008

A Continual Drizzle

We are full throttle into the rainy season here in Cochabamba. It is an adjustment to make. You see, in the past we have lived where there were seasons, and within those seasons there were various elements of weather. There was a saying, "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute and it will change."

Here, it isn't like that. You have two seasons. The dry season which means no rain for about 8 1/2 months, and the rainy season in which it rains every day, many times all day long for the rest of the year.

I was chatting with my daughter Patience the other day, and I realized something. She thinks that it is always going to be stormy. She can't hardly remember it not raining most of the week. On the days without rain, she wanted to know if it was going to rain tomorrow.

I realized as I was trying to tell her about the rainy season, that I am just like that with God. I am immature and shortsighted. Whenever I experience storms in my life, I tend to forget when it wasn't so bad...and I start to expect it to always be this way. My Father has a much greater memory, and an infinitely larger perspective of the future. He reminds me that although I am soaking wet now...at one time I was dry...and at some time in the future I will be dry again. He also gently explains why we need the rain...nothing grows without it...not even me.

So...if you are experiencing a continual drizzle...remember, continual isn't equal to eternal!

1 comments:

clm said...

Joe,

Thanks. It seems like everything I read these days is directed toward our situation. Keep on blogging!

Chad