Monday, May 5, 2008

Evac Pac

Living in Bolivia has had its share of excitement, the latest of which is going on right now. Yesterday, the Department of Santa Cruz voted to be autonomous. Three other Departments (the equivilent of States in the U.S.) have votes lined up in June. The pro-facto result of this vote is like becoming independent from the rest of Bolivia...not exactly but in a way. It is a lot like the U.S. in the mid 1800's, when some of the States wanted to have States rights pre-empt Federal rights. (I am being pretty vague here on purpose--please research on line to see what is going on). The end result of what is happening here could be like what happened in the States back in the time of Lincoln.

As a result of the potential unrest and conflict, we have been instructed to keep what is called an 'Evac-Pac" on hand. This is because in the case of an emergency evacuation, you don't have time to pack. You have to leave everything behind except what can fit in a backpack. You grab it and boogie. In our pack, we have to have some money--not for luxury but to meet the temporary necessities of travel, we have to have our identification (passports and Bolivian I.D.), and then we can put other items that we feel pertinent. For example, I keep a screwdriver handy, and I will take the harddrive out of my laptop because it has all of our medical records, photos, and other personal information. Other than that...it is pretty slim. We have some peanuts, water bottles, vitamins, and a few first aid items just in case we cannot drive and we have to walk to the evacuation point.

As I was putting together our evac pac, I thought of another evacuation that is definitely, not maybe, but for certain going to happen. One day, we are going to do an emergency evacuation of planet Earth. Whatever your end-time theology...there will be a day when God says, "Get outta there now!"

Are you ready for that evacuation? Will you be called to leave the Earth, or will you miss the call? If you were packing an evac pac for that day, what would you put in it? Definitely you would have to have your identity--which is the fact that you are in Christ and you are a citizen of Heaven. Also, you may want to have some money...but in this case you can't put it in your pack, you have to send it on ahead of you. What else? Good to think about.

I have another thought about the evac pac. It is amazing to me how, I can take all of the thousands of dollars of possessions that we have...in the States it would be much more...and I can put the essentials for life in a backpack. The essentials? The things that would keep my family intact, safe, and secure. Also the memories of our relationships. As I was thinking this, I thought...if the only thing that really matters in the case of an emergency is the people that I love...do I treat them like they are all that matter in times of non-emergency?

Just a thought.

Exercise For My Faithful Readers: What would you put in your spiritual, and physical, evac pacs...and what does that teach you?

See You Next Time...and please, Pray for Bolivia.

0 comments: