Saturday, September 12, 2009

Great Mission Trip Opportunity


This is a shot of my friend Nate. Nate is a carpenter...like Jesus and for Jesus. He lives here in Cochabamba with his wife, Cindy, and soon to be first born child.

Here is what Nate does. In Cochabamba, there are tons of orphanages. These orphanages struggle to pay for food and buy diapers. They cannot afford to make any type of major purchase.

Because of this, there is a huge need for furniture. Babies share cribs, don't have beds, chairs, tables, or other things that we would consider just basic necessities.

So, Nate raises money to purchase wood, and provides the labor for free. He not only provides his labor, but he also hires kids who live on the street to work for him. They have a Bible study there at the office, and are paid a little bit that gives them money for food. It is a pretty cool operation.

Nate just built me a bed. (see Denise's blog for photos) When I tried to pay him, he refused the money, but did say this. "If you know of anyone wanting to take a mission trip and help build beds for babies, let me know about it."

So, here you go. This is a great opportunity to do hands on missions...a little outside of the box of what we usually consider missions, but it meets an incredible need. Get in touch with me. I will put you in touch with Nate. You won't regret it.

Joe

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh! I love to do carpentry! Maybe I can help out while I'm down there?

-Caris