Monday, October 26, 2009

Praying

Pastors praying at a conference I led.

I had a fantastic time this past Sunday. Every last Sunday of the month, our mission team gets together from 3-5 for prayer. For me, it is a time of refreshing.

However, yesterday I noticed something, and for those of you there, no judgement just an observation.

We divided into groups to pray, men and women--we usually don't but we did this time. When we divided, I went to the restroom during the commotion of switching chairs, and then had something on my mind so I stepped behind a wall to look at a Bible passage. I decided to wait until the men stopped talking, and then sneak into the back chair to join in the prayer.

Now, I could not see them, but I knew exactly when they started praying. Before praying, their voices were normal, relaxed, conversational. Then, the prayer voice started. Now I do the same thing, but it just struck me as strange.

Why is talking to God so much different than talking to you? Sure, He is God, but He is also my Dad, my best friend, my husband, my groom, my lover, my brother...all of those are Biblical images of Him. He is to be the most intimate relationship of my life. Now, I am not talking about those moments when we are worshipping or confessing...I am just talking about talking. Why do we talk to God in a different tone of voice than with our spouse? Why do we use different vocabulary and phrases (bless the hands that prepared this food for the nourishment of our body and give traveling grace to those who are with us only in spirit as they journey to...). Why do we go into our prayer mode?

Once more, I do it also...but why?

I think I need to focus more on my love relationship with Him...then maybe I will begin to speak more to someone I love than to someone I know of...maybe that is why I go formal with God. I am not comfortable enough to be informal?

Just a thought,

Joe

1 comments:

Courtney said...

I agree we are often too formal with our prayers, but I think it's possible to go the opposite extreme as well. I want to speak to God as my Father and Friend, but also as my King and Authority, which requires a certain tone of respect and reverence. I don't want to think of and speak to God with too much familiarity or I think I risk losing sight of His power and position. That may just be me though.