Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Travel Documents


We had another fun time with getting things done. Denise is taking Jacob (19 year old) back to the states. Jacob is going to start working to save up money for college. She is also taking our 1 year old daughter with her.

Bolivia has a law that does not let a parent travel alone with a child unless the other parent has given them written permission. This is more than a letter. You have to do a gazillion things to get it....or do you?

We were given a list of things that we needed to take. We went to the Custody of Children Court to process things. The man showed us a list of about 25 things that we were supposed to do, including proving that our certified original birth certificate is a certified birth certificate by having the people that certified it certifiy that they certified it. (Honest)

After chatting with him, he told us that we did not have to do all of the things on the list, or on the list that we had been given. But we did have to do something else. We had to go get 3 photos of Mercy with any color background we wanted. Only, we could not get it done before lunch, so we had to come back at 2:30. Now this was at 11:20, and the one minute photo place was across the street, less than 20 yards away. Why could we not get this done before lunch? Because he showed us that his clock was 30 minutes fast and that was what he used for lunch.

So, we got the photos and waited for three hours. When he came back, he filled out all of the forms, but first I had to pay for the form to fill out, 20 bolivianos. After the form was filled out, he said that we needed three copies, so I had to take the form and go to a copy center and get three copies. I did that. Came back. He said I needed an extra copy of Mercys passport. I had to go get a copy. I did that. Came back. He said I needed to go purchase a manilla folder to put my paperwork in so that he could put it in the filing system (a pile of papers wrapped with a string about four feet high, dating back to 2002...honest). I went and purchased a folder.

He put all the documents in the folder, put the folder on his desk, and told me to come back on Monday.

I went back on Monday. He opened up the folder...an apparantly untouched folder, and gave me the original document that I had to have the three copies made. The other copies were still in the folder.

Oh well. Now Denise has permission to travel with Mercy and without me, but only for one month.


Fun Fun Fun.

1 comments:

Kathy W said...

And we complain about red tape in the US!!
Hailey said earlier in the year that they were driving....Please tell me that's not true!!
Blessings,
Kathy W