Friday, December 11, 2009

Tag Your It


My license plates were stolen off of my car last week. I don't know when or where it happened. I have a car alarm that is motion sensitive, so whoever did it was a Mission Impossible Agent. However, I have to replace my tags.


So, after a lawyer is consulted and the DMV is talked to, forms are filled out and notarized, I head to a special office of the DMV. It seems that this happens enough to warrant a different office.



I am taken to the office by a Bolivian friend, otherwise I would have never found it. It is on the outskirts of the city, on the side of the Mountain, and hidden behind a cul-de-sac. As there are no street signs in Bolivia, if you don't know where this police station is, you ain't gonna go there.


We get to the station with the documents we were told we needed, only to find out we needed more. No problem, it is 10:45 and I live 15 minutes away, I will be back at 11:15 with the docs. I am told that I cannot come back because they go to lunch at noon. "But Sir, I will be back at 11:15,"I insisted. "No. Come back at 2:00." was his stern reply.



So, at 2:00 I go back to the Police Station with my documents and my manilla folder. (You have to provide your own folders in Government offices.). The officer informs me that my folder is too dirty, so I have to purchase another one. I also have to purchase a particular form that is only sold there in his office, but the person that sells the form doesn't come back to work after lunch until 3:00. AAAGGGGHHHH. He knew I would have to wait an hour...AAAGGGHHH.


So, when the young boy (probably 11) comes back from lunch at 3:15, I buy the folder and form. I am then told that I have to buy another form that a man sitting on the couch has in his backpack. This mysterious form cost $7 and was never used.

After all forms are filled out, I have to go to the Newspaper office and fill out a classified saying that my plates were stolen. This ad has to run for three days. So, then next Wednesday I will take three days worth of classifieds to the DMV. "Will I get my new plates then"? I asked the officer. "No, of course not." was his reply. Stay tuned....

Life goes on.

4 comments:

Todd Lingren said...

Can I get the job of the couch man with the backpack? Seems like a sweet gig.

max said...

If you have the registration the easiest way out of this mess was to make your own copy of the plates with your original #'s, some shops by the coronilla do it(even eurostyle). I hate the corrupt bolivian police!

Carter said...

May I suggest welding on the next set...
Either that or have your most artful child airbrush a picture of the new plates on the car, then take the actual plates and put them in your closet!

the Joneses said...

Just reading your post makes me want to weep. I think I'll go eat some chocolate.

-- SJ