Monday, May 31, 2010

It Makes Me Happy To Be Sad


This sounds like a paradox doesn’t it? Or maybe an oxymoron like military intelligence…happily sad.

Yet, it does make me happy to be sad. So, am I a glutton for punishment? Am I some wacked out weirdo that has such a negative view on life the only thing that makes me happy is to be miserable?

It makes me happy to be sad. I was thinking about this as we said our good-byes to our friends at the airport. For a few days we have been getting tears in our eyes (for us manly men) or crying (for those girly girls). We have been sad and it makes me glad. Weird?

If I am weird, then I am in good company, because, well, read it for yourself.

(Mat 5:4) "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

This is a quote from the Beatitudes. By the way, I do not know why we have added such a mysterious interpretation to the word ‘blessed’. Think about it, what does that word mean? If you were asked to define the word, how many sentences and “uh’s” would you use as you tried to explain what it meant to be ‘blessed’. Let me clear it up for you.

The word only has one meaning, and it is a one word definition. It means ‘happy’. That is it. No mystery. No need to do Greek conjugation or in-depth word studies. It just means, “happy”.

This is what Jesus was saying.

Sad people are happy people.
You will be happy when you are sad.
The way to be happy is to be sad.
Sadness reveals how happy you are.

He is literally saying that you can measure the happiness in your life by whether or not you get sad.

Why? This is speaking about our heart, and here is what it means.

You can only be sad when you have had something meaningful and lost it.

You can only be sad when you have loved, and/or been loved.

Sadness is what fills the vacuum that was left when a relationship with another person ends or changes.

I am sad. The reason that I am sad, is because I am leaving people that I love. It is not permanent. I will come back. But we are friends. We are co-workers for Christ. We have a relationship that is being changed, ended or put on hold.

I am sad because I am loved and because I love…and those whom I love are being taken away from me by my home assignment. I am sad because my life is meaningful here...and that is temporarily changing.

This is why I am happy. I am happy because I am living my life in such a way as to be sad. I am loving others. I am being loved by others. I am influencing and being influenced. My life is being intertwined with the lives of others.

I can be sad because I have been loved. That makes me happy.
(Mat 5:4) "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

As I leave my Bolivian friends for a while, I can be happy because it takes me to the arms of the One Who truly loves me for comfort.

This makes me happy to be sad.

Closing question from my rambling thoughts.

Are you living in a way that makes you open to being sad? I hope so.

2 comments:

Stumbler said...

I'm happy that you are sad Joe. :-)

I'm also thinking of all the people you can meet up with on Home Assignment that will be REALLY HAPPY to see you.

The fact that so many folk are sad to see Denise & yourself go in Coch says a lot.

Psalm 30:5
Weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning.

Tim.

Anonymous said...

Feeling the same thing as I think of leaving Ghana...I'm glad the parting will be sad, because that means the relationships that were formed over this past year are so precious! If there wasn't love, it wouldn't hurt to say "good-bye."

See you all soon!

Leah =)