Thursday, May 6, 2010

State Of Mind


One of our favorite places in the whole world is Sandy Cove http://sandycove.org/. It is a beautiful place for the family, the individual, and the couple. A place to connect and reconnect with God.

Our friend, Dom, writes a newsletter for those who go each year to the Sandy Cove Homeschool Conference. Below is the text of an article that I just sent him for the newsletter. I just felt like putting it here also.



A State Of Mind

If there is anything that you can say about the Holman household here in the last few weeks, it could be about our State of mind. Not really the mental state of our mind, but the fact that our minds are on the States.

The States. We are talking about them, dreaming about them, and looking forward to them. You see, we have just finished up our 3rd year on the mission field, and it is time to go to the States on furlough, or home assignment.

The States. Now I know that those of you who have been there over the last three years have been engaged in political debate, economic recovery (or not), health care, and blah, blah, blah…but for us. The States represent so much more than the daily grind.

They represent our food. This sounds so cheesy (pardon the pun), but food is a hot topic (pun) in our house. We are charting the course to our favorite restaurants. We are going to eat at On The Border between the airport and my Father-In-Laws house when they pick us up. I have already told my kids that we will NOT eat a hamburger until we can go to Five Guys and Fries and I can buy them a real hamburger. The Cheesecake Factory, Baja Fresh, Red Lobster, and, believe it or not, Long John Silver’s are daily topics. It is amazing how much food means, but when you have gone three years without YOUR food…you just can’t wait to savor the flavor.

The States are where our family is. Seth and Jacob are so missed by us. When they left, it was like a large part of our heart was torn out of us and sent to another country. We can’t wait to laugh with them again. Paul and Darlene, Denise’s parents, are our best friends. They are going to meet us at the airport and we will stay with them for a while. I am going to hug my Mother-In-Law until she pukes. 

The States is also where our spiritual family and friends live. To be able to share, visit, eat (there is food again), laugh, and just relax with those who are in the community of Grace with us…I cannot tell you how much we want to do that. We cannot wait to be at SANDY COVE! The entire family will be there in JUNE!!! I have tears in my eyes as I write this.

The States is our heart home. We love Bolivia. We love the mission field. We love our calling. Bolivia is now our home. However, our heart home…that will never change. The States formed us and made us who we are.

As we talk about the States, I can’t help but come back to thinking about Heaven. Now, the States are not anything like Heaven , but the parallel is so close from our perspective.

Heaven is our heart home. We live here, but it is heaven that is shaping us and changing us. It is our heart home of heaven, our citizenship there, that compels us to do the things that we do.

Heaven is where our family is…literally. My best friend and brother, Jesus, lives there. He is my Lord. He is my Passion. He is my everything. My dad went to heaven last July. My mom went to heaven seven years ago. My grandma went to heaven two years ago. Denise’s grandma is there. Our little baby Jordan is there. We so want to see all of their faces again.

Heaven is where our spiritual family is…those in the community of Grace. I want to see the myriads of saints from every tribe and nation. I want to be a part of that worshipping multitude.

The states is where all of our sensory appetites will be satisfied and satiated. Oh, to eat at the marriage supper of the Lamb, to see, feel, hear and experience a world with no more curse, no more tears, no more pain, no more sorrow, no more death…a world where the former things have passed away and all things become new.

I want to go to Heaven!

We are here in this world, serving the Lord in the same manner as you. But, although we are here…set your minds on heaven where Christ dwells at the right hand of the Father!

See you at Sandy Cove!
Better yet, see you in Heaven!

Joe

0 comments: