Thursday, May 27, 2010

Three Days And Counting



3 Days And Counting

Last night I woke up to go to the bathroom. This is happening more and more frequently due to my small bladder, my drinking problem (I drink way too much water my kids tell me that I am an addict) and my age. Well, I got up to go to the restroom, and stubbed the dog out of my toe on a suitcase. There was a stupid suitcase right in the way. Why in the world is there a suitcase between Mr. Bladder’s beginning point and the sweet destination of toilet town? The suitcase isn’t part of the decorum of our room. It isn’t our solution to not having a bedside table. We don’t have a pretty vase of flowers on it to add a ladies’ touch to the room.

The suitcase was inadvertently left there by someone whom I shaved the previous morning. This unknown (but incredible intelligent) person was packing it. I (the person) should have stacked it with the other 10 when he finished, but in a malicious attack against me, he left it in my way.

You know why we are packing?
Cuz we are going on Home Assignment.

What do you think we are putting in the suitcase?

When you go on a trip, and you pack, what do you put in your suitcase?

Well, it depends on where you are going. If you are going on a snow skiing vacation, you put warm clothes, ski goggles, and stuff like that. If you are going on a cruise in the Caribbean, you don’t pack your snowboard.

We are packing our bags the same way that you do, based on your destination and what you will need there.

This is a great example of two things. First of all, it shows us how to live the Christian life. The second thing is that it reveals the power of vision.

First, how to live the Christian life. This is where I differ GREATLY from popular psychology. You see, modern psychology teaches that I am who I am because of my past. I believe that I should be who I am based on my future. I know that one day I will see Him, and because of this I purify myself even as He is pure. I know that, although I have not yet reached the prize, I press for the mark of the high calling in Christ Jesus. My life is to be based, not on what my parents did or who they were; but on what my Savior did, and Who He is. I live now, not because of yesterday, but for tomorrow. This is the moment that I express to myself and others who I will be. I am not anchored to my past, I am freed to my future which is the anchor of my hope.

The second thing, and the reason for this post, is the power of vision. When you know where you are going, it is an incredible thing. A huge frustration that I have here in Bolivia is this: the light bulbs stink. Bolivia loves fluorescent lights—but they are so weak and diffused that it is hard to see. Compare this with a laser. In college, we had the opportunity to see a laser that could cut through 6 inches of steel in a few seconds. Light concentrated.

This is what vision does. Without vision, we are life diffused. With it, we are life concentrated. Vision gives us motivation and direction. We know where we are going and we want to get there. It also permits evaluation, as we can check out our current position based upon where we want to be. Vision pulls you. Vision challenges you. Vision calls you. I once read that if you want to recruit a sailor, you don’t host a knot tying convention, instead you start to talk about the far off unseen, the exotic lands, and the challenges of the open sea. That is vision.

We have a great vision. You can see it on our website, www.Holmanfamily.org . Our vision is to help Bolivian church leaders know God better and love Him more. Bottom line is this.

We want to change the leader,
so he can change the church,
so it can change the nation,
so we can change the world.

Our vision is changing it all.

Check us out….then join the fun!




0 comments: