Thursday, August 19, 2010

Too Many Options




I went to blockbuster the other day for the first time in 1,285 days (really, I did the math just for fun). I was in the store for about 45 minutes, and then left. Know what I rented? Was it a sinful ‘R’, a border line ‘PG-13’, a questionable ‘PG’, or an acceptable Veggie Tales?

After 45 minutes I left the store empty handed. Do you know why? I simply had way too many choices. I could not make up my mind. I only had time to watch one movie, and if I picked this one, then I could not watch that one…and that other one looks really great! Hey, here is an action, a romantic comedy, a family or a drama. There were new releases, manager’s choices, summer blockbusters, past Oscar winners, and employee picks. There were classics, westerns, and my favorite, science fiction. I could watch foreign films or Bollywood (whatever that is). I was overloaded.

I went out to eat with some donors to say ‘Thank You’ for their support of us. The menu had 12 pages…seriously, 12 pages! There were 9 hamburgers to choose from. Here are the questions I was asked.

“What do you want to drink?” Tea.

“Fruit tea or normal?” Normal.

“Sweetened or unsweetened?” Unsweetened.

“Would you like a sugar substitute?” No thankyou.

“What would you like to eat?” Steak

“How would you like that cooked?” Medium well

“It comes with two sides, what would you like?” Here I was stumped because there were 10 sides to choose from. I finally settled on a bake potato and salad.

“Garden salad or Ceasar?” Garden

“What type of dressing? House, Ranch, Thousand Island, Blue Cheese, French, or Vinegar?” I was starting to get worn down like when you child keeps asking the same question three hundred times. I settled on Ranch.

“Would you like butter on your baked potato?” Yes.

“Sour cream?” Yes.”

“Chives?” (in an Eeyore sounding voice) Yes.

“Bacon bits?” AAGGGGHHHHH!!!! Just bring me something to eat I don’t care!!!!!!

The same scenario happened with everyone else.

Options and options and options. It is an American value. We have so many choices. Count the various chip options that you have, or soft drink options, the next time you go to the store. Look at your closet and see how many shirts (or women—shoes) that you have to pick from.

We have so many choices to make every day that we are bogged down with them. We leave the store empty handed, or worse than that, with buyers remorse because rather than feel grateful for what we have, we wonder if we should have picked something else.

So, here is the point where I usually have a spiritual application. I really don’t have one except maybe that this passage could apply:

(Luke 10:41-42) But the Lord answered and said to her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things; but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her."

Are we bogged down and bothered by so many irrelevant choices, that we are too tired to make the right choice about what really matters?

Just A Thought,
Joe

1 comments:

Stumbler said...

Joe.... I'll remind you that you said this about the choices when you are back in Coch. :-)

Tim.