Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Totally Foreign Concept


I was with a friend the other day, and we were chatting about Bolivia on the way to pick something up out of a storage unit that he rents. When we got to the Storage facility, there were over 100 units and no vacancy. This got me to thinking, so I did about 2 minutes of on-line research and came up the the facts that there are around 55,000 self storage facilities in the USA, with a total average annual market income of $30,855,000,000. Look at that number again! Many of these facilities are even climate controlled, and to be honest, almost all of them are better than the average home in a developing country like Bolivia or most of Africa.

My friend asked me if, when we left Bolivia, we had placed our stuff in a storage unit. I told him that to 90% of the world, storage units are not only unheard of, they are an extremely weird concept. Lets think about it for a minute.

I have too much stuff for my large home and property to hold. I have more stuff than I have room for. So, what is my solution? Do I give it to someone else? Do I allow another to use it? Do I sell it and use the money for something else?

No. I rent a storage facility. Here I can put the stuff that I do not use or maybe not even want into a safe location where others cannot use it. I don't need it. I don't use it. However, I am going to keep it because this is what we do...we acquire and accumulate.

Can you imagine this happening in a third world country? Can you see a row of huts out in the countryside of Africa where people put unused items so that no one else can use them? Can you imagine a poverty stricken nation having storage facilities?

Don't read a bad attitude here...I am just saying that only in a place where wealth is so great and taken for granted would someone not only own things that they don't use, but pay someone else to protect them.

Unlike the first century church that sold their possessions and met the needs of others, we pay others to keep our possessions.

So...here is a challenge for you that could benefit the country of Bolivia.

How about you have a garage sale, then another one, then another one...until your home can hold all your possessions. You can give the proceeds of your garages sales to our ministry, and then also give to world missions the amount that you were paying for renting! If everyone did this...it would mean $30,855,000,000 each year going to the expansion of the gospel from the USA alone! Now, I know everyone isn't going to do this...but couldn't you? Go by our website to see info on how to give! :)

Until next time....how about you start using the Storage Unit of the Heavenly Depository.
Joe

4 comments:

@ngie said...

Great post, Joe! Innovative fundraising. Nice.

Javier Magnus said...

Well, the idea of storage units is new in some places. But in other continents like Asia, storage units and facilities are starting to emerge. But whatever country or place you come from, you can take advantage of storage facilities. An extra space will help you to keep excess stuff you have at home. Or if you are travelling, you can temporarily store some of things that will not fit into your new apartment.

Ericka Muldowney said...

It's a good idea, Joe. Selling your unused items or clothing can free up space in your home, and the fact that you're giving the income to the ministry would help a lot of less fortunate people. However, there are some things that we don't want to lose, so we think of some ways on how to store it rather than throw it away or sell it, and storage facilities act as a secured safe for us.

Allan Sutherland said...

Sell stuff you no longer need that you think others can still use, and keep those that have sentimental values. It was a good idea to keep your stuff in a self-storage unit, where it can be well-kept and protected until the time you think of a better way to make full use of it, or dispose them for others' benefit. Keep your stuff and don't just throw them away. Remember, they were once valuable to you.

-Allan Sutherland @ GeneralStoreAll