Monday, December 3, 2012

Christmas--Big Deal Or Not?

I was in an end-of-the-year board meeting a couple of days ago. As an icebreaker, our director asked us to share our first Christmas memory and why we remembered it…what was significant enough to have it stick around in our memories. As people told stories, and it was getting closer and closer to my turn, I was racking my brain. I finally admitted it using humor as my defense weapon. I could not remember a good or bad Christmas. I can remember Christmas. We were poor and did not ever make a big deal out of it, however I do remember for a stocking I would get one of my dad’s size 13 tube socks. In the morning it would have an orange and some pecans in it. That was pretty much it as far as bedazzled memories go. As an adult, I find myself hoping that the sock was washed and bleached but those ideas never entered my mind back then. Anyway, my point was that I could not remember anything significant about Christmas. There was nothing to make it stand out. I know that we celebrated it. We had a tree and Santa Claus would come in the night and leave us a couple of presents. But that was it. I had no memories of Christmas day or season. This brings me to my point. Some of my readers have young children, others of you have grandchildren. What are we doing to establish traditions and/or memories of Christmas into them? What makes Christmas special or even different from other days or holidays. As Christians, we believe that Christmas and Easter mark the two most significant events in the history of the universe. The day that God became man, and the day that He rose from the dead sealing our salvation forever. If these days are significant, then shouldn’t we be doing something to make them that way? Denise and I have things that we do, traditions that we have established as a family with just this purpose in mind. What do you do? We have traditions that I will share after hearing from you.

3 comments:

Stumbler said...

One of our Boarders (I'm a Boarding school teacher) from Germany has a huge great home made flat cloth Christmas elf (I think). The point of it is that its apron has little pockets like an advent calendar. Each of these has a small gift in it and the top of the pocket has been sewn shut by his mother. Each day as the month progresses he breaks the threads and opens another small gift.

How cool is that! And what a great mother.

Tim.

Emilio Fernandez said...

Good morning how are you?

My name is Emilio, I am a Spanish boy and I live in a town near to Madrid. I am a very interested person in knowing things so different as the culture, the way of life of the inhabitants of our planet, the fauna, the flora, and the landscapes of all the countries of the world etc. in summary, I am a person that enjoys traveling, learning and respecting people's diversity from all over the world.

I would love to travel and meet in person all the aspects above mentioned, but unfortunately as this is very expensive and my purchasing power is quite small, so I devised a way to travel with the imagination in every corner of our planet. A few years ago I started a collection of used stamps because trough them, you can see pictures about fauna, flora, monuments, landscapes etc. from all the countries. As every day is more and more difficult to get stamps, some years ago I started a new collection in order to get traditional letters addressed to me in which my goal was to get at least 1 letter from each country in the world. This modest goal is feasible to reach in the most part of countries, but unfortunately it’s impossible to achieve in other various territories for several reasons, either because they are countries at war, either because they are countries with extreme poverty or because for whatever reason the postal system is not functioning properly.

For all this I would ask you one small favor:
Would you be so kind as to send me a letter by traditional mail from Bolivia? I understand perfectly that you think that your blog is not the appropriate place to ask this, and even, is very probably that you ignore my letter, but I would call your attention to the difficulty involved in getting a letter from that country, and also I don’t know anyone neither where to write in Bolivia in order to increase my collection. a letter for me is like a little souvenir, like if I have had visited that territory with my imagination and at same time, the arrival of the letters from a country is a sign of peace and normality and an original way to promote a country in the world. My postal address is the following one:

Emilio Fernandez Esteban
Calle Valencia, 39
28903 Getafe (Madrid)
Spain

If you wish, you can visit my blog www.cartasenmibuzon.blogspot.com where you can see the pictures of all the letters that I have received from whole World.

Finally I would like to thank the attention given to this letter, and whether you can help me or not, I send my best wishes for peace, health and happiness for you, your family and all your dear beings.

Yours Sincerely

Emilio Fernandez

Becky said...

Every year we go out to find our Christmas tree. We decorate the tree and share memories attached to the ornaments we put on the tree. Our children make new ornaments and create new memories. We put up the nativity scene and tell the story of each person as they are added.

Some years we travel up to Pennsylvania to share the time with family and feast.

As a child,I remember getting a stocking full of fruit and a few pieces of candy. We are too blessed today. I mentioned oranges as stocking stuffers and my family could not understand why we would put oranges in the stockings. They could just go to the kitchen and eat them out of the bowl.

These memories make me thankful for my family when I was a child. And they remind me of my blessings today.