Thursday, March 28, 2013

Pregunta, Nada Mas


Pregunta, nada mas.


That phrase is how we are greeted whenever you walk into a store here in Bolivia.  It literally means "Question nothing more".  A better translation would be "It is okay if you are not buying what I am selling at this moment. You can ask me questions and I will not be bothered."

I am not saying that this is the ttruth, but I like the way that it begins a relationship.  It is okay to ask me a question.

I was thinking about this and I thought of a couple of things.  First of all, this is missing from the evangelical church across the world.  For some resons, we are not open to questions.  We are not wanting dialogue.  We do not want to communiate, we want to preach. Communication is a two way street, preaching is a one way superhighway.  Communication involves me listening to you, hearing your questions, and speaking to your concerns.  We don't do that.  We just tell it like it is.

The second thing that I thought of was 'Why?'.  Why don't we open ourselves up to questions?  We have the answer.  We have the truth.  The Bible gives us God's revelation to humanity.  Our worldview is the only one that works.  So, why are we so closed to anyone questioning what we believe or why we believe it?  (serious question, comments welcome)

A final remark.  Wouldn't it be great if all of our relationships invited dialogue.  It is okay to ask me a question.  I am not here to just 'close the deal' or get my purpose accomplished.  I am here for you, for us.  "Pregunta, nada mas".

2 comments:

Bill Wilcox said...

Many believers are not confident that they'll be able to answer all the questions. We shouldn't be afraid to say: "I don't know, but I'll check on it and get back to you." In the area of witnessing to Muslims, many seem to fear that the Muslim will know more about his or her faith than we know about ours. More often than not, this is not the case. Many Muslims are cultural Muslims who know little about the doctrinal details of their faith. And many other Muslims enjoy discussing the differences in our faiths - not a taboo subject at the dinner table or a party (i.e. religion and politics) as it is with many Americans.

Jaxson corey said...

Nice topic this one..well interested..and the well points are given here..well article too..so nice to see this here..thanks for sharing here with us..
Accounts Software For Small Business
Simran Kaur