Monday, March 6, 2017

Fake News



I love being vindicated. Actually, it does feel good. I was reminded by Facebook and Timehop about some posts that I made back in 2011 and 2012. I was constantly challenging people to stop just believing what their favorite news opinionator said, because opinions are not news. People were just spreading hatred.

I remember this first bothering me way back in the late 80's or early 90's. I used to listen, please do not judge me, to Rush Limbaugh while driving to work. One day I realized something. By the time that I got to work, I was angry. Everyday I became angry at "Them". "They" were so stupid, so criminal, so incompetent, so 'everything that 'We' were not.

The more that I listened to conservative talk radio, the less I loved my neighbor.

Fast forward to the last two decades. More and more opinion channels call themselves the news and simply state what their target market wants to hear. Not the news....but, and I cannot believe that this was actually said, "alternative facts". It isn't just President Trump that does this, it is both sides.

Here is the danger of fake news. People read it, hear it, and repeat it so much that we no longer think it is fake. We believe it so much that we will argue vehemently about something that we have never even bothered to validate. Fake news becomes the driving passion of our day and the foundation of our opinions.

Supposedly it was Adolf Hitler's propaganda chief, Joseph Goebbels that said, "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it."

We are living proof that it is not the factual support that something has that determines whether we believe it or not, but our predisposition and point of view. We love to believe stories that reinforce our disdain and hatred of the other side. That is sad but true.

May I give you another phrase to use in place of fake news? How about this: A lie. Fake news is a lie.

The sad thing is that fake news is not a new thing. Way back in the garden of Eden, there was a fake news report given to Eve. You will not really die. It was told to her by the Father of Fake News. She believed his report. She acted on what she believed. She died.

He is still broadcasting and we are still listening.

We still believe fake news. Things like:

Fake News: You can determine your own morality. Society decides what is right or wrong.

Fake News: It doesn't matter what you believe as long as you are sincere.

Fake News: Science has proven that God does not exist, therefore religion is simply a psychiatric balm.

Fake News: God loves you more than them.

Fake News: We can believe in Jesus as our Lord and Savior and have lives that look no different from our unbelieving neighbor...with the exception of church attendance.

Fake News: It is okay to share fake news.

Here is the bottom line.

Satan is the father of lies.
God is the God of truth.

Which of these two do your social media postings represent more often?

Just a thought.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,
I'm actually gonna comment on the 10 things missionaries can't say but this post had no comments and I thought it appeared lonely so a befriended it. I would like to somehow offer my house/s and other assistance to missionaries on furloughs or whatever. But the downer part I'm in Kansas. Anyway my email is kacycsmith@hotmail.com. Just a thought. I would love to come to Bolivia. And I speak Spanish.
A sister, Kacy