Saturday, February 25, 2023

Who Impresses You And Why?

I had something happen to me a while back, before I moved to Ghana. It was an interesting study in culture. 

My flight to Bolivia was canceled because of mechanical failure. American Airlines had to rebook me. Unfortunately, it took them four days to get me on a plane. Fortunately, because they were rebooking me as soon as possible, the only seat open was one in first class. 

At the airport, while I was waiting, there was something happening. It was obvious that someone important was on my flight. There was a man that people kept sheepishly approaching and asking to take photographs. One person asked him to say hello to her sister on the phone. People were getting autographs. I just sat and watched. 

We got on the plane and got settled into our seats. This man was traveling with five other people. He ended up sitting in first class besides me. I looked closely at him as we settled in, offered him my hand and introduced myself. He shook my hand and told me his name. 

After we were in the air I began talking to him. I said, "Can I tell you something? I do not know who you are, but you are obviously famous. I was watching you at the airport, and I just wanted to tell you that I was impressed with how you handled all those people. You were gracious. You were kind. You never seemed to be rattled. You even talked on the phone to someone's sister. I was impressed, not with who you are, but with the way that you were so nice to people who interrupted your conversations and interfered with your vacation."

He said that he appreciated the kind words. He told me that he learned a long time ago that you could either be nice to your fans, or mean to them, and being mean was not what he wanted to do. So, as much as possible he tried to be nice. 

I asked him his name again and he told me. I said, "Please don't be offended, but I have no idea who you are. What do you do? Are you a movie star, on broadway, an athlete, a singer?" (at this point, his friend in the sit in front of us laughed out loud and looked at me, then laughed again). 

He said, "I am a singer." I asked him what genre and he told me. Once again I said, "I have not ever heard of you, but I have lived in Bolivia as a missionary for almost ten years. We don't have television and the radio is simply local Spanish stations. My internet is too slow for internet radio. So I apologize for not knowing who you are. Are you, like, really famous or just a little famous." He, with embarrassment on his face said, "I really can't deny it. I am really famous. I guess you could say that I am known all over the world." I replied, "Is that good or bad?" He said that it was both. 

At this point, we just started talking. I asked him various things about his story, background, family and life. He asked me about missions and my ministry. I shared my testimony about how I came to know Christ and he told me that he had given his life to Christ as a child. We just chatted. 

I was thinking about this later. As I told people what happened and who he was, they always got excited. They asked if I took a selfie with him. I honestly did not think about it. They wanted to know if I got his autograph. I seriously did not care.

I was amazed at how impressed people were that I sat next to him. They wanted to know what he was like and what he said. I had celebrity proximity fame. 

Why? What is the big deal about being a good singer? Why are we impressed with fame?

I titled this, Who Impresses You And Why? I think that this is something worth considering. 

I am being open when I say that I am impressed by the faithful poor. By people that love Christ with all their hearts with no tangible reason to do so. They live in squalor and joy. That impresses me. 

I am impressed by missionaries, evangelists and pastors who have served the Lord for decades with little or no recognition. Whose sole desire was to help others and honor Jesus. 

I am impressed by people who are generous. When I know that someone gives, not large sums, but large percentages of their money away to help others and grow the kingdom of God...that impresses me. 

I am impressed with housewives. Women who could be working full time, getting workplace awards and recognitions, making money and buying things, yet have chosen to give all of that up in order to fully focus on their husbands and children...wow!

I went through this exercise and realized that people who chose to focus on Christ and/or serve others impresses me. Why? I think that it is a reminder to me of the love of God.

Who impresses you? Are you impressed with the wealthy? The accomplished? The famous? The power brokers? Why?

Answer that question: Who impresses me? Why? It may help you re-orient some of your own priorities. 


And now, the rest of the story. The man was country singer, Luke Bryan. I am not impressed with his fame. His treatment of his fans, that impressed me. 

0 comments: